Friday, May 23, 2008

Teaching "under"

I just started teaching Keisha "under". This is a very useful command for a service dog of any kind. It can be used to get them under tables, chairs or other pieces of furniture so they don't get stepped on. It really comes in handy when at a restaurant or on public transportation when there is not much space.

I used one of the tables like the one in this picture for this task. It's the right height, because Keisha can easily fit under it, but at the same time she has to duck. This is perfect because she can fit under it easily, but she has to be very aware of the table the whole time. This way she understands the concept of "under" better. Once she understands it better, I will start using things that are higher, and other things that are smaller. The goal is to have her comfortable with laying in small spaces that are new, like under the seat in front of me on an airplane. Sophie is a really great traveller, and I'm hoping to teach Keisha to become one as well.

I started off pulling the table to the center of the living room, and filling the front pocket of my hoodie with kibble. (I must remember to make sure the pocket is completely empty before venturing outside!) I used a clicker, and kept Keisha on her leash. I did this to keep her attention, and because I had the balcony door open. It was too hot to close it.

I sat on the floor in front of the table, and used some of the kibble to lure her under the table. She put her head under it a few times to eat the food, and I clicked. She understood in a few minutes exactly what I wanted from her!

She started going under the table and out the other side, or just standing crouched down under it. Each time I clicked and gave her a treat. Then she started offering another behaviour. She would go under the table and lay down. This was perfect! I hadn't been planning it, but if that was what she wanted to do it was great because after going under something, I would put her in a down, stay anyway!

I had been clicking as soon as her whole body was under the table, so I guess she thought that when her whole body was under it she should lay down. I tried turning the table at different angles, and getting her to go "under" from different sides. She did great!

I had been sitting on the floor for awhile, and thought I'd end it on a good note, like always so I played with her a bit before getting up. She was jumping around and having a great time. She didn't jump at my face like she used to when she was a puppy. She didn't do it to be aggressive before, but when she got too excited she didn't pay attention to where her body was going. As I was getting up off the floor I realized that while we were playing a bunch of kibble had fallen out of my pocket and she was eating it off the floor.

I'll do some more "under" with her tomorrow. She's outside now watching the cat from next door. Oh, speaking of the cat, when I was working with her, the cat was outside and she saw it through the open door. She watched it until I said her name, and then ignored it! I was really surprised, and happy at the same time!

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP