Monday, May 12, 2008

Little thing, big fuss!

Keisha had been outside most of yesterday. I had Sophie's FlexiLeash attached to the handle on the sliding door so she could go out and come in as she pleased.

She was running back and forth most of the day. Then all of a sudden she started barking. When I called her, she stopped and came inside, but would go back out and bark again. I didn't want the neighbours to get underwear in a knot about it, so I took her inside and put her in her crate.

It was getting late anyway, and I thought it was bedtime Ms. Husky anyway. Sophie was already asleep on the couch. I put Keisha into her crate and went back to watching tv.

All of a sudden she started barking again. She usually makes all kinds of "Husky noises", but only barks when she's really excited, or wants supper really bad. I told her to be quiet, but she continued barking away.

I went over to her crate to find out what she was barking about, and couldn't find anything. She was looking out the window though. I thought it might be one of the cats that live next door, but couldn't hear anything.

It was beginning to freak me out a little. Our balcony is on the same level as the barbecue area that is shared by these two buildings. Now that the weather has warmed up, people are out there quite a bit. I could hear some people in the distance, but couldn't tell if they were out there, or on a balcony. I have had a problem with balls being thrown onto our balcony and people always jumping over to get them, so it wouldn't have surprised me too much if someone was on my balcony.

I closed the door and locked it, and felt pretty uneasy until Keisha finally decided to go to sleep. When I went over to her, she sat down next to me and just kept watching whatever it was that was outside. I still thought it was one of the cats, or something that was blowing around when I went to bed.

Today as I was cleaning up outside I found out what all of the comotion was about. There was a drink can outside! People above us always throw their trash onto our patio. It really gets on my last nerve! I guess Keisha saw it and didn't know what it was.

Now I've got a real dilemma on my hands. Do I teach her not to bark at things at all, or do I let her in certain situations. I have to admit I was thinking it was nice if she let me know something was happening outside my door that wasn't suppose to be. Maybe I can teach her to alert me of things like that. It could really come in handy when you can't see!

4 comments:

IDA May 14, 2008 at 4:19 PM  

Ida tends to bark at things as well(at home anyway). Since I have difficulty hearing I decided that 1-2 barks in the house is ok so that I know to investigate to see if it is something I need to be concerned about. The hard part is often the 1-2 barks and stopping at that.

Kim May 14, 2008 at 7:44 PM  

I'm going to let Keisha "talk" while she is home also. A husky loves "wooing" and making all kinds of noises, so I don't want to stop her from doing that. I decided from before I got her that I would let her talk as long as she wasn't disruptive when she's not working.

Anonymous May 17, 2008 at 10:31 AM  

It's important that Keisha learns to tell you when something is wrong. You said she can make all kinds of noises. Is she capable of learning how urgent or dangerous something is and then be able to tell you the difference? Our neighbor's dog is penned outside and was barking like crazy, they yelled for him to shut up, then in morning discovered their car had been broken into and tools were stoken. SisterNan

Kim May 17, 2008 at 1:33 PM  

It is totally possible to teach her to do that. Guide dogs learn to avoid danger. It would be the same thing, only instead of avoiding the situation I could teach her to come to me and give me some kind of sign something is happening. Dogs have a very good sense of when things are wrong.

I just thought of something else to teach her. It would be really useful to teach her to bring her leash, harness and my keys to me when the fire alarm goes off. It is tested every month here by the company that installed it and there are plenty of false alarms to practice with.

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP