Saturday, November 17, 2007

Why I Chose A Siberian Husky

When I started looking into which breed I should train I was set on getting another yellow lab. Sophie is great, and labs. are mostly used for guide and service dogs because they are great at it. Then I started exploring other breeds because I didn’t want Sophie to feel like I was replacing her (just bringing in another dog of the same breed), and I would feel guilty about it.

I looked into the working dogs group, for obvious reasons, and started looking at different breeders in my area. A Siberian Husky breeder’s site came up, and as I read it I became very interested in teh breed. I spent weeks researching them, and found out that they have been used as guide dogs and service dogs.

They have all of the qualities I was looking for. Siberians are extremely intelligent and independent, which are both qualities you need in a guide or service dog. They need to be able to make up their own minds and be able to learn difficult things like “intelligent disobedience” where if the handler gives the dog a command and it would be dangerous to do it, the dog disobeys. If I tell her “forward” at a curb and a car doesn’t stop, then she should stay at the curb and not walk out into the street because she was told to do it. I kept reading about how “stubborn” huskies are, but whenever I read that I was thinking “it’s perfect”! I’m not looking for a dog that will do everything I say without thinking about it!

Living in Canada it can get cold! I was looking for a dog that could handle the cold eather. In the winter I have a coat for Sophie. When it gets down to -30c Labs get cold! She also has boots, but this is because the salt used on roads and sidewalks can burn dogs paws.

I need a dog that has a lot of energy so they can keep up with all of the work and not get tired easily. I also needed one that could pull and wasn’t too big. A Siberian Husky is a great size for fitting into tight spaces like under the seat in front of me on an airplane, or under a table when we go out to eat.

I do want kids in the future, and will be working around kids. I wanted a dog that would be good with them, and friendly with people. In other words, a dog that thinks everyone she meets is a new friend!

They are really healthy compared to most of the breeds used for guide and service work, and from what I’ve read they don’t have a “doggy odor” when they get wet like a lot of other breeds. This can come in handy when out in public!

They are very adaptable dogs, and have the intellegence for the job. Another small bonus is that they are more likely to “talk” and howl than bark. It’s easier to stop a dog from howling than barking, and as long as Keisha doesn’t “talk” too loud while working and doesn’t howl then she can “talk” all she wants when we are at home.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP