Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Sleepy Husky

Until recently, Keisha didn't feel comfortable sleeping out in the open. She would sleep in her crate, under the end table near her crate, or under my wheelchair. I guess she felt protected in these places. If her crate door was shut, she would sleepily stagger around until I let her in and she would finally collapse in the corner of her crate for a nice long snooze!

Lately I've had the sliding patio door open and she's been on an extendable lead that is attached to the door handle. This way she can go in and out as she pleases, and Sophie, my guide dog can have a break from random husky tackles as Keisha tries to play with her. It has worked out really well! She hasn't had an accident inside since I've started doing this!

She hasn't had bedding in her crate since I got her because she keeps eating it, and seems to think it's as good a place as any to pee on! I've had a nice crate pad for her since I got the crate, but the only time it's been used is if Sophie happened to lay on it. I put it on the floor outside of her crate last week and she's been playing with it, tossing it into the air, chewing on it, and basically doing everything with it except sleeping on it. Today after I vacuumed I put the pad on the floor next to the side of her crate and as soon as I let her out she bunched it up and started chewing on it again. I was beginning to wonder if she would ever have a nice bed to lay on! Then tonight, to my surprise she bunched up the pad and had a nap on it! She's had a couple of naps on it since supper, and is sleeping on it right now.

I guess there's hope after all!

2 comments:

Anonymous May 17, 2008 at 10:38 AM  

Maybe the pad came with an odor from the store, like sizing spray to keep it from looking wrinkled or some odor from the manufacturing process? She could have been trying to shake it out and now the pad has absorbed the natural odors from your apartment. If something like this happens again, try lightly cleaning it with your dishsoap. SisterNan

Kim May 17, 2008 at 1:36 PM  

That's a really good point. We had bought it when we got her to put in her crate but she kept peeing on it and chewing it. I kept it out of her crate because of this, so she never really used it before. I had washed it so maybe she could still smell the detergent off of it, or it didn't smell like it was hers.

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP